Skip to main content

What can a contractor do if not paid in Texas?

December 20, 2022

If a contractor in Texas has not been paid for work that they have completed, there are a few options available to them for seeking payment:

  1. Send a demand letter: A contractor can send a demand letter to the person or company that hired them, outlining the work that was completed and the amount of money that is owed. This letter can often be effective in prompting payment without the need for further action.
  2. File a lien: If the person or company that hired the contractor owns the property on which the work was completed, the contractor can file a lien on the property. This means that the contractor can seek payment from the owner by claiming an interest in the property until the debt is paid.
  3. File a lawsuit: If the demand letter and lien do not result in payment, the contractor can file a lawsuit against the person or company that hired them in order to seek payment. This can be done in small claims court if the amount owed is less than $20,000, or in a higher court if the amount is greater.

It is important to note that these options may not be available in all circumstances, and a contractor may want to consult with an attorney before taking any legal action.